quinta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2014


 We may not get the opportunity to teach much slang in the classroom, nevertheless it can be important when listening to native speakers. This can be in real life, films tv or music. The more you understand slang the easier it will be to appreciate the cultural aspects of English. Below are just a few examples of some common slang words.
Parte superior do formulár

Parte inferior do formulário

airhead: stupid person.

"Believe it or not, Andy can sometimes act like an airhead!"

awesome: great and impressive.

"Andy is truly awesome!"

beat: tired.

"I'm really beat because I was awake all night."

biggie: something important.

"I was hoping to get my homework completed, but it's no biggie. "

bonkers; go bonkers: crazy.

"If Andy works too hard, he sometimes goes slightly bonkers!"

booboo: a mistake.

"I made a booboo on the last question of the exam."

booze: alcohol.

"The CCBEU  party was fun, even though there wasn't any booze."

bushed: extremely tired.

"I'm completely bushed."

cheesy: cheap; outmoded.

"Why are you wearing such cheesy clothes?"

chicken: coward.

"Don't be such a chicken!"

cool: excellent; superb.

"Andy is totally cool!"

couch potato: a person who watches too much television.

"Why did I have to marry such a couch potato?"

crap [offensive]: something worthless.

"My furniture is a bunch of cheap crap."

freebie: something that does not cost money.

"My trip to New York was a freebie."

get it: to understand something.

"Sorry, but I just don't get it."

go bananas: go slightly mad.

"This project is causing me to go bananas!"

grub: food.

"Where's the grub?!"

guts : courage.

"It took a lot of guts to ask his boss for a raise."

hot : popular.

"Brad Pitt is really hot now."

humungous: really big.

"American supermarkets are humungous."

jerk: stupid or annoying person.

"How could you go out with such a jerk?"

knock: condemn.

"Don't knock it unless you've tried it."

laid back: relaxed; calm.

"I always feel laid back at the beach."

 

make waves: cause problems.

"Teachers don't like students to make waves."

neat: cool; great.

"Isn't my new car neat?"

party animal: someone that loves parties.

"Andy has been known to sometimes be a party animal."

peanuts: very little money.

"I love my job, but the pay is peanuts."

pee: to urinate.

"I always have to pee after drinking beer."

piss: to urinate. (impolite)

“I need to go for a piss”

 
pissed (off): angry; upset.

"I'm really pissed (off) at you."

rip off (1): stealing.

"Someone ripped off my car."

rip off (2): fraud.

"I paid $10,000 for my computer. What a rip off!"

rubbish: nonsense; not true.

"That rumor is a bunch of rubbish."

screw up: to make a mistake.

"I screwed up on the driving test, so I didn't pass."

screw-up: a person who makes a mistake.

"Why are you such a screw-up?"

suck: to be bad and unacceptable.

"That song really sucks!"

turn-off: something that repulses a person.

"Bad breath is a real turn-off."

umpteen: many; countless.

"I've asked you umpteen times to show me the money!"

zero: an unimportant person.

"If you don't work hard, you'll end up a zero."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário