terça-feira, 24 de março de 2015

The use of idioms and phrasal verbs in conversation is an important part of learning to understand the English that natives speak. If you want to enjoy films and music or just join in a conversation between 2 English speakers, then you need to start integrating them into your learning.  Look at the example below and see how much you can understand. I will explain in next week’s blog.

John:  Hey what’s up?
Paul: Not much and you, what have you been up to?
John: Well, things are a bit up in the air at the moment, I bombed in the mid –terms
Paul: That’s a bummer, you should have listened to me when I told you to hit the books. When do you have to face the music?
John: Later  today.
Paul: O well, keep your chin up and hang in there.

Later

Paul: Hey John how did the meeting with your professor go?
John: I managed to scrape through the semester  by the skin of my teeth. The professor said he would cut me some slack because I told him I was under the weather at exam time.
Paul: Was that on the level?
John No, I was lying through my teeth. I feel a bit guilty now, but I’ll get over it.
Paul: You must be chuffed to bits.
John: Damn right, I want to party, let’s go and paint the town red. What do you say?
Paul: You know me, that’s a no brainer.
John: Where do you fancy?
Paul: I’m easy.
John: Remember that place we chatted up those girls from Canada last year.
Paul: It rings a bell.
John: I think Ivan was with us, maybe he remembers. We can try to twist his arm to come with us.

Paul: Sweet. You can give him a bell. Right, if we are going out then I need to hit the sack for some zeds.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário